What is the Ease into 5K running plan?
Ease into 5K is a beginner's running plan created by Bluefin Software, LLC.
It is designed for people who are just taking up running
- You alternate between walking and running until you build strength
- It is an 8 week long plan
- You workout 3 times a week, ideally with breaks between days
- Each workout session is from 25-40 minutes long (including a 3 minute warm up and a 5 minute cool down)
For example: Week 1 Day 1: Welcome to your first workout. Start with a 5 minute warm-up then repeat 9 times the following intervals:
- Run 60 seconds
- Walk 90 seconds
Week 2 has you running a bit more than walking and so on for a total of 8 weeks. The goal is to get you running 30 minutes straight, roughly 5K.
Why do I need an app for that?
Of course, you can do it without an app, by keeping the time yourself or by downloading a 5K podcast. However, this app enables you to listen to your own music while it gives you audio cues when to switch from walking to running. It also has some other pretty cool features as well:
- In app music player - enables you to change tracks without leaving the app (this feature requires iPhone OS 3.0 or greater)
- Works with Nike+
- Configure additional audio cues - like "halfway point", so you know when to turn back
- Keeps track of your progress - so you always know which workout is next
- Journal your workout thoughts - document the weather, how you felt, and terrain. Add your own comments in the notes box.
- Facebook and Twitter right from the app - your friends will want to motivate you on your journey and you'll want to feel accountable too.